Wednesday 9 November 2011

White Dwarf 383. November 2011


This is going to be my first review of the White Dwarf magazine after wanting to do one for a few issues.

Before I get started on the meat of the issue I feel I need to add a disclaimer! I am a subscriber, mostly so I can get the tasty Dwarf models and also because I don't want to have to go into the hobby store to get it. Being a subscriber it's been quite an awful few months with them messing with the distribution times. Before I used to get the mag around 7 days before the stores. Now I've had the last 3 on the thursday following the Saturday of release. Waddup?!

Rant out of the way, here's the main feature...

New Releases - As expected it's chock full of Necrons. The models look truly epic and it's a real struggle not to just cave in a buy them! However, showing me 3 photos of the same model does not increase this urge threefold. Give it a rest and save some space for real content.
The warhammer Skullvane Manse looks great, 'eavy metal brush set a rip off, what really caught my attention was the limited edition dice. I love limited edition!

News - The interview with Sarah Cawkwell was a really nice touch and I always read the Black Library page.

Necrons - I haven't really read this section yet so my opinions aren't totally informed but the photos look great, the amount of text is substantial (whether the content is is another matter!), it's cool they stuck in some 'eavy metal shots but where's the masterclass or even some basic steps?

Battle report - This was of real interest (although I did skim read) since I play Ultras and am really interested in both Eldar and Necrons. Again the photos look great and was good to see that it wasn't a set-up to sell the new army.

Standard Bearer - Haven't read yet but even when Jervis is just chatting randomly I still love him!
edit: Just read it and it was definitely one of his better columns. Really spoke to me as I find myself on the losing end quite a lot of the time but still have a lot of fun.

Skullvane Manse - If yuo've got this article why do you need the page photo of it at the start?

LOTR Tactica - No comment...

Tactica: Ogre Kingdoms - Again I can't really comment on the content as I've not played any Warhammer (yet) but I like that they carry on supporting recent releases with interesting articles like this.

Armies on Parade - I am hoping that this is going to become a regular feature. I really enjoy looking at other peoples armies and hearing their explanations about choices/schemes. Long may this continue.

Sisters of Battle workshop - Not a lot to digest here. Yeah it's great there's some painting guides but the actual article just feels quite flimsy.

The Augury - Totally pointless. Could do so much more with this section.

Overall I read a huge amount of this issue, including parts that I'm not really interested in! I think this was because there was an enthusiasm about the articles that carried me through it. WD always take amazing photos, and it looks like the writing is slowly coming up to meet it, time will tell. I'd rate it a 7/10. Above average but not in the top quarter. Oh and what's up with no 'next month' page? I've got to turn to forums to get me excited which just isn't how it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment